Is it done yet?

Here’s where I stand on Catherine Theron’s How Great the Blessing sampler. In the past week I’ve added the verse, and the numbers and personalization (with updated dates!) under the alphabet, along with four birds and another squirrel.

Is it done?

Early on in stitching this project, I deliberately didn’t fill in the flowers in the large vase and left off the small berry bushes to the left of the large squirrel and the right of the bunny. Now I’m reconsidering.

The sampler doesn’t have many blank spaces at the top, and the larger empty spaces by the bunny and squirrel seem to be screaming for something. Maybe those berry bushes would work after all.

What do you think?

***********************************
Erin update: Guess who had a birthday on Friday? Yes, already!

The best part about presents? The wrapping paper, of course!

My first decorated cake. Yes, that’s supposed to be Elmo. I think I’ll stick to stitching.

Erin’s “personal” cake. Both cakes were applesauce cake, and they came out yummy.

The aftermath…

Somebody liked cake, but was clearly ready for bed!

9 Responses to Is it done yet?
  1. Anonymous
    February 1, 2010 | 2:59 am

Your E is absolutely adorable! Are her medical problems behind you? In re "Blessing": I think you are going to be happier with it if you bite the bullet and fill in the flowers and put in the bushes :>} Ellen

2. stitchinfiend
    February 1, 2010 | 8:32 am

How adorable is that little cutie and you did a great job of the cake.
    Your sampler is beautiful

3. Edy
    February 1, 2010 | 10:32 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY E!!

4. Edy
    February 1, 2010 | 10:33 pm

Oh…and I agree that you need something at the bottom of your gorgeous sampler.

5. Elmsley Rose
    February 1, 2010 | 11:40 pm

Gods, has it been a year already?
    I thought that was a very recognisable Elmo! Except, isn't he blue? You would have seen him a lot more recently than me tho *grin*

I vote for NOT filling in the flowers. I think they make a good contrast with the filled in ones on the sides. There are plenty of small 'figurines' around the flowers to balance the detail.
    And you can't really balance detail anyway – you've got a wacking great area of totally filled in embroidery (ie the house) at the top of the sampler.

I think it really comes down to personal choice, not a design decision and that's why you are having trouble deciding. Maybe you should not look at it at all for several days (put it away somewhere) and then take it out, and follow your instinct when you first set eyes on it again. Your guts should know by then.

6. Katrina
    February 3, 2010 | 12:27 pm

Happy birthday to E, she's just adorable.

If it were me I'd put the other elements in, but that's just me :-).

7. Elmsley Rose
    February 5, 2010 | 2:23 pm

Re sampler bars on my own blog – just repeat here – "oh, Jeanne – thankyou for use of your brain!

Shall do."

8. shakatak66
    February 5, 2010 | 8:04 pm

Your sampler is gorgeous as it – but I can also see how it would look good with the sections filled in … I'm no use am I? LOL. Either way it's gorgeous :) Happy birthday to E.

9. Terri
    February 9, 2010 | 11:36 pm

Great stitching Happy Birthday E and your cake does look like Elmo :)