She’s done!

Cinders 16Dec2009

Yes. Cinders is done. While done with fairly basic blackwork and darning, stem, and satin stitches, this piece was quite challenging due to the format. As described in my first post about this piece, Marion encouraged us to change filling patterns and colors as we stitched.

I’m pleased with how my version came out. Here’s Marion’s original, for comparison. (Sorry about the flash. This is a photo of a photo.) Cinders MSoriginal
It’s really interesting to compare and contrast these two versions. I’ve seen many instances where several people do the same counted canvas piece in a multitude of colors and threads , but I haven’t seen it often in other techniques.

Have you seen other examples? Please tell us about them!

13 Responses to She’s done!
  1. Kathy A.
    December 17, 2009 | 4:26 am

Congratulations Jeanne. She is beautiful. I for one, am going to miss her.

2. Kathryn
    December 17, 2009 | 8:44 am

I certainly have never hesitated to change colors or threads in counted cross stitch. I also don't mind changing a bead for a stitch (Rouge comme…), though some stitchers change a bead to French knot. Some of the threads I have used are RG Designer's Dream (for anything wooly), RG Petite Treasure Braid for anything metallic (or what I want to be metallic), and various silks for DMC at any time. Even using DMC, I have swapped colors, changed variegated for plain, and stitched only the parts of the pattern I liked. One of the Michael Powell kits I am working on, I have even greatly changed the design to look more like the model, rather than the stitch diagram. "Blackwork" stitchers don't hesitate to stitch in any color available. Plenty of stitchers change the fabric color and count. I regularly swap out aida in kits for evenweave or linen.

3. The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure
    December 17, 2009 | 12:37 pm

Well, my guest blogger Bonnie and I are doing a Canvas of the Month series where we come up with a plan for stitching a painted canvas separately, post the photo and describe our different plans. The next Canvas of the Month will appear next Sunday, 12/20. It's fun for us to do and often we come up with an approach that is similar in some details and very different in others.

4. ~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~
    December 17, 2009 | 2:38 pm

Hi Jeanne, it's been so nice watching your progress on Cinders. Congrats on your lovely finish!

Happy Holidays and Sweet Stitchin…

Sue

5. Donna
    December 17, 2009 | 2:46 pm

She's gorgeous. I love your color choices.

6. Karen
    December 17, 2009 | 4:12 pm

Jeanne, she's beautiful. I love your changes.

7. Edy
    December 17, 2009 | 8:49 pm

Jeanne – Cinders is lovely. I really like those designers, Marion and Gay Ann for example, who design a beautiful piece and then say "Change what you like…It is YOUR piece!"

8. Lindsay
    December 17, 2009 | 11:08 pm

She's gorgeous

9. Tracy
    December 18, 2009 | 1:27 pm

I absolutely love this! I would love to stitch it…

10. NCPat
    December 20, 2009 | 2:29 am

Congratulations! Beautiful work!

11. Cyn
    December 20, 2009 | 3:13 am

Hi Jeanne,

Congratulations!

She's beautiful!

And yes, I change things all the time. Actually I would be willing to change anything on a design if I think it would work or work better with my taste/decor. :-)

Cynthia
    Windy Meadow

12. Cyn
    December 31, 2009 | 4:03 am

Hi Jeanne,

Congratulations on finishing "Cinders"!

One of the examples that I have seen of different stitchers stitching the same design is one of my ANG chapters, The Black Eyed Susans, stitched "Stars of the New Millennium" by Tony M. Many of the finished versions were displayed at the 2007 ANG Seminar in Baltimore. Wonderful display!

I've also seen other examples but none as well organized as that display.

I also change things out. For example, I'll switch out beads for stitches, stitches for beads, and will change stitches. I've also extended a design if I think it's necessary and if there is room on the canvas. I also don't like coverage of a canvas so I'll switch out a light stitch for a heavier stitch.

Many times I'll switch out fibers such as DMC for silk and vice versa. Depends on the look that I want and what I have in my stash or if I want to go on a shopping excursion. :-)

Cynthia
    Windy Meadow

13. eli
    January 30, 2010 | 6:05 pm

Beautiful embroidery. I love this pattern