Tudor Purse progress

As of this past weekend, my Tudor Purse was in the same state as when I last posted about it in October. Since then, I’ve finished the open (or spaced) Ceylon stitch and added tendrils in Ceylon stitch.

I debated a bit about further adorning the open Ceylon with some wrapping or other decorative stitch, and decided to try it. I wasn’t sure it would work, since the open Ceylon is less than a quarter inch wide, but I’m very glad I did.TudorPurse WIP 6Jan2009

I chose to do a simple backstitch wrap, bundling the stitches in groups of two. I was surprised at how much it made the design pop. The upper picture here is the wrapping in progress. Below is the design with the vine complete.TudorPurse 6Jan2009The only gold stitching left to do is the tops of the peapods, which I hope to have finished tomorrow. Then I can add spangles to the design, and make up the purse. It seems silly that I put off this little bit of work for so long!

*************************************
Pregnancy ticker: 31 weeks, 5 days.
I’m really getting tired of getting IV’s put in “just in case”! They have to be replaced every 4-5 days, and my arms are starting to look like a battlefield!

10 Responses to Tudor Purse progress
  1. Edy/Grandma
    January 7, 2009 | 10:05 pm

I like the wrapping…it does enhance the chainlikeness(?) of it.
    BTW, your black & blue arms will fade. At least they're not taking blood every day!
    Stay well and rest up; believe me you will be glad in several weeks!
    Edy
    NYC

2. Beth in IL
    January 8, 2009 | 8:32 am

Yep, I understand about IV’s. We are still praying here. Love this new piece on your blog. (New to me at least!) Looks difficult.

3. Kathy A.
    January 8, 2009 | 12:44 pm

Hmmm – can we stitch something to cover those marks or maybe use the color as an inspiration for a new start. Just kidding hon. Hang in there. You are doing great~

4. anniebeez
    January 8, 2009 | 3:12 pm

Wow! That is so cool! I love the way the wrapping looks! I can’t wait to see this finished. You really do such beautiful work!

5. NCPat
    January 8, 2009 | 3:18 pm

Very nice! This is just gorgeous!

6. Joan
    January 8, 2009 | 5:25 pm

Wellllll, I finally did it! I ordered the New Year’s resolution ornaments. After watching all your work on Gay Ann Rogers projects, I decided I had to have them. Loving her designs more and more…now you can be called an enabler!!! LOL LOL

Joanie R., Chemung Valley EGA

7. Karoline
    January 8, 2009 | 8:14 pm

It’s looking gorgeous, great progress

8. Elmsley Rose
    January 8, 2009 | 11:04 pm

Hmmmmmmm…..very interesting.

The vines on my project are very narrow. Tried Ladder Stitch – can’t get it narrow enough. Saving Plaited Braid for one particular section where I can make it wider.

Ceylon is the current favourite in the Vine Stitch Stakes.

I love the wrapping step you’ve taken.

BTW, have you seen http://white-threads.blogspot.com/

Start from about 3 entries down – gorgeous Elizabethan piece, and discussion re Plaited Braid Stitch (or not) usage on a particular well known piece.

She’s doing a book on LH Stitches, inc the Elizabethan ones. Luckily she’s a professional, or else I’d just cry and give up now. (joking – but pretty good for a first Elizabethan attempt!)

9. Elmsley Rose
    January 8, 2009 | 11:08 pm

PS I’m talking ‘normal’, not ‘open’ Ceylon (I wasn’t very clear)

My huge sympathies on the IVs. I know how much they hurt at the site.
    And then the nurses run out of decent veins…..I hope you have ‘good’ veins!

10. Cyn
    January 11, 2009 | 2:34 am

Hi Jeanne,

Glad to hear that you both are doing well even with all of the IV’s. I check in every day to see how you both are doing! :-)

The purse looks wonderful!

Cynthia