Happy Dance: To the Acorn

To The Acorn 2Mar2008Ok, it’s been done for a few days, but I’m finally taking the time to get this post written! Here is To the Acorn by Pat Krahn, which is available as an EGA group correspondence course.

My final project looks very different from the original, because I completely changed the colors to those based on Caron Waterlilies #220, Cheyenne. It’s on Platinum Belfast linen, and uses DMC pearl 8 & 12 in color 3033, along with Splendor from Rainbow Gallery, colors S889, S913, S937, S964, and S977.

To The Acorn - filetwork 2Mar2008The last area I stitched was the cutwork oak leaf. If anyone’s interested, I’ll do a post similar to the last one, showing this being worked in stages.

Since the pictures have gotten smaller and smaller as the sampler grew, here’s a close-up of the bottom whitework area.
To The Acorn - bottom 2Mar2008
Before I forget, thanks to the many readers who left such great comments on the last post. To those of you who commented that you would be worried about cutting your fabric – remember: it’s just string. If you cut the wrong thread, one can always be pulled from the edge of the linen and woven into place of the incorrectly cut thread!

Now I’m back to working on Jim Wurth’s Camelot, then I’ll pick up Winds of Color again.

********************************************
This is my first finish for round 2 of my WIP-loss challenge! Two more to go, including Winds.

11 Responses to Happy Dance: To the Acorn
  1. tkdchick
    March 7, 2008 | 4:33 am

Congratulations! Its just AWESOME!!!!!

2. cathymk
    March 7, 2008 | 7:17 am

Congratulations! It’s a stunning piece and a fantastic achievement.

3. Sandra
    March 7, 2008 | 10:30 am

I came across your blog on my search for Catherine Theron, and I love the progress on your Examplar IV. I have bookmarked your blog, and shall look forward to seeing more pics as you do more work on it. By the way, I have saved the picture of your beautiful stumpwork piece to my ‘nice stitching’ folder, I hope you don’t mind.

4. Cindy
    March 7, 2008 | 12:21 pm

What an awesome finish! The whitework is very beautiful :)

5. Kathy A.
    March 7, 2008 | 3:54 pm

What a beautiful piece. You have done an amazing job. Heirloom – you bet!!!!

6. pinsneedles
    March 7, 2008 | 5:39 pm

Oh well done, Jeanne – it looks great. I really do like samplers that incorporate lots of different techniques like this, and you have worked them all superbly.
    Jocelyn

7. Katrina
    March 7, 2008 | 6:54 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, huge congrats on the finish!

8. LovetoStitch99
    March 9, 2008 | 2:31 am

Happy Dance to you :-)

What a wonderful piece and great choice of colors.

You make me want to stop everything and stitch that piece, but that won’t happen for now as I have way too much on my plate.

Any idea how you will frame it?

… and you have also almost completed Camelot. You sure have been busy stitching lately.

What is next for you after Camelot?

Pierrette =^..^=

9. Elisabeth Braun
    March 11, 2008 | 2:44 pm

Hey! I missed this post! Well done! It’s ‘Finish City’ at your place, isn’t it? Good work!

10. Terry
    May 17, 2008 | 6:13 pm

I love your change of colours for this, I still have mine to do and hope that I will get around to it some time in the not too distant future

11. Wawanna
    October 9, 2008 | 11:10 pm

The colors are stunning and you have completed outsdandingly a beautiful project – made even more so with your individual touches& colors.

Any chance you still have this pattern? Please contact me! I need some help!!!!

Wawanna